I Opine: Trump, Israel, and the UN: A Love Story

Preface: I am going to call this section "I Opine". In these posts, I will go full out with my personal opinions, and truly give my two cents. Hopefully this will work! Thanks for reading!
_________________________________________________________________________

I Opine


In this segment of "I Opine" I will be talking about the recent decision by the Trump administration to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. This decision is a faulty, dangerous one. First, I want to discuss how Israel came to be. In the years following WW2, the Jewish people were longing for a home. After being dispersed and nearly exterminated, the Jews really wanted their own place to prosper. This, inherently, is not bad at all. But, as time progressed, we see a troubling move. The US decided to to forcibly take land in the Middle East, and give it to the Jewish people and have them claim it as their own. US soldiers forced people out of the area, and drove them off their land. This is wrong in every avenue, and the worst way to give the Jewish people their wish. Now, with this in mind, I truly understand the anger coming from the Arabs, and we must remember this as this story progresses. Now, away from history, we move to this recent move from Trump. This not only disrupted Jewish-Arab relationships, but also threw the entire UN international relationship into vertigo. First, let's tackle the Jewish-Arab relationship. Peace talks were in the works to try to work out a solution to the land war that has been going on for years. But, with this move, the talks might as well be over. For, the US completely disregarded the Arab people, and threw peace talks completely out of the window. So, to defend this move is to defend truly awful politics. I understand wanting to support Israel, but this is a terrible option. Now, let's discuss the UN. Recently, the UN voted resoundingly to reject Trump's decision. 128 member nations decided the same as I, that Trump's move completely disrupted any chance at peace in the region. I commend those nations for standing up to Trump's manic decisions. Only 9 nations voted alongside the US, and none were of much importance. Now, yesterday, we saw some worrying bully behavior from Nikki Haley. She states the US will remember this vote, as if vengeance is implied. This strikes me as blackmailing our fellow UN members, and really disrespecting the democratic process that is the UN. And also, Trump said that the US will cease funding to those who voted against the US. This is absolutely astounding, in a terrible way. This IS blackmail. Agree with us on everything, and you will get everything. Disagree with us on one or two topics, and out with you. Everyday, I am more and more disappointed with the leadership of this country. I just hope that in 2018, major changes will occur. Thanks for reading! Agree? Disagree? Drop a response. But remember, keep it civil and respectful. Stay vigilant, readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NC Views Inaugural Post